Job Title: Capital Markets Analyst
Location: San Francisco, CA (Open to Remote)
The client is looking for an Analyst to join its Capital Markets team in a unique role that intersects project finance, valuation, analysis, process improvement and data systems in the Community Solar, Utility Solar and Utility Wind space.
This position will report to a Director of Project Finance and has primary responsibility for supporting non-recourse construction debt, term debt, tax equity and cash equity (project sale) transactions for renewable energy projects in the US. This person will also be collaborating with team members in various departments such as development construction, legal, risk & corporate finance to balance value optimization with transaction risks and business objectives.
* Refine a set of reusable Excel-based project financing model templates that serves our project origination, development, construction, financing, and asset management business.
* Maintain rigorous standardization and consistency in the project financing models (derived from the above template) applied to the many projects in our pipeline.
* Develop and improve the data automation connecting the project financing models and financial data systems that enables efficient use of the model at scale (e.g. for many projects)
* Implement the terms of the tax equity, construction debt, term debt, cash equity, etc. financing in the project financing model templates.
* Communicate to internal stakeholders our underwriting standards and implement those standards in the project financing model templates.
* Support the structuring negotiation and closing of tax equity, construction debt, term debt and cash equity financings.
* Help architect and implement the analytical and data infrastructure that enables structured project financing analysis to be leveraged across the organization in project financings, internal tracking/reporting, external tracking/reporting, budgeting, etc.
* Develop and maintain relationships with existing and potential capital providers to continually improve velocity and cost of capital
* Support running financing processes to find and secure sources of capital that are the best fit for the company's goals
* Actively participate as a junior member of a deal team responsible for due diligence, modeling, documentation, negotiation, closing and funding transactions to established timelines
* Serve as a reliable representative of the project finance team on internal project teams and in internal discussions
* Support presentations and reports on transaction status, risks and benefits to the Vice President of Project Finance and management
* Support providing the development team with advice on anticipated terms of financings and assist in the development, pricing and origination of new renewable energy acquisitions and development projects
Knowledge & Skills
* Highly motivated and the ability to maintain a positive culture that is based on teamwork, respect and integrity
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a clear, concise manner
* Advanced Excel skills
* Project Finance modeling (i.e. discounted cash-flow with multiple parties) experience.
* Experience creating reusable Excel templates, instead of single use/purpose spreadsheets.
* Understanding of key financial concepts such as general ledgers, balance sheets, accrual vs. cash accounting, etc. to be able to understand and navigate financial data systems.
* Understanding of data tables and databases.
* An ability to perform in a team environment to achieve objectives
* Ability to prioritize many competing deadlines
* Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, engineering, or related field. Master's degree preferred.
* Minimum of 1-2 years of work experience in energy capital markets, with preference for U.S. renewable energy capital markets
* Energy or infrastructure industry experience
* Ability to coordinate and work as a team as well as contribute individually
* Requires an understanding of how financing contract terms and conditions influence economics and business model
* Must have proven track record of successful project finance closings
* Experience in tax equity and/or energy project finance transactions
* Experience collaborating with internal deal teams as well as external consultants and lawyers to meet a deadline
* Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to convey ideas and positions clearly
* Background with VBA, Python, etc. and an interest in becoming expert through working on real-world projects.
This client will not sponsor nonimmigrant visas for this position.