My client is seeking an Automation & Controls Engineer to join their internal engineering team in supporting advanced R&D, manufacturing, and piloting projects. Candidates with a diverse skill set and comfort prototyping a wide variety of I/O and control schemes are desired. This team completes diverse and challenging engineering projects in cooperation with other R&D teams, manufacturing operations, and field engineering.
The Automation and Controls Engineer will become the technical leader for designing, modifying, and maintaining in-house systems with a variety of control and I/O hardware.
This client does not ship systems or control panels as a product; all work by this team is for internal stakeholders.
Collaborating with other engineering & technical staff, this individual will take on projects such as:
Modifying HMI software for PLC-controlled wastewater treatment pilot skids
Designing & building laboratory-scale I/O systems for datalogging experiments
Maintaining and upgrading PLC/HMI on manufacturing equipment
Providing technical oversight and review of externally-sourced controls packages
3+ years' experience designing and/or maintaining HMI software for PLC hardware and software (strong preference given to those with hands-on experience with Factory Talk).
Allen Bradley, Siemens, and Automation Direct / C-More are all in use; preference is for expertise with Allen Bradley.
- Ability to solve challenging automation problems with a demonstrated aptitude for "hacking together" elegant, low-cost prototypes
- Working knowledge of panel layout, power electronics, and controls wiring principles
- Experience developing NI LabView projects is a huge plus
- Demonstrated aptitude for solving integrated I/O and controls challenges
- Desire to work on a wide variety of technical challenges including both R&D and manufacturing projects
- Prior start-up experience is desired and/or a demonstrated track record working in high growth, fast paced environments
- Experience with SCADA systems
- Experience implementing Industry 4.0 concepts is highly prized (inclusive of IIoT equipment-based sensors, digital twins and data analytic based dashboards)
This is a full-time position on-site in Woburn, MA.
Travel for this role is expected to be 10% or less.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and include equity and benefits.