A leading Water/Wastewater General Contractor is looking for a Estimator to join their Water Team in San Diego, CA. The successful candidate has the ability and experience to estimate wastewater and water treatment plants including self-performed disciplines such as earthwork, underground piping, concrete, and process equipment and process piping installation.
The Estimator is responsible for estimating all aspects of water and wastewater construction projects. The Estimator is also responsible for the development of initial schedules, work plans, subcontracting plans, and material procurement for projects to be transitioned to the Project Management team for buyout and construction. This position will be responsible for estimating projects throughout the Western and Southwestern US.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS
- Estimate wastewater and water construction projects of various sizes and complexity including multiple disciplines of self-perform labor and equipment. (pipe, civil, concrete, equipment setting, industrial buildings)
- Develop RFP's for subcontractors and materials
- Qualify sub-contractor proposals for completeness and scope accuracy.
- Consult with clients, vendors, personnel in other departments to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Confer with engineers, owners, contractors and subcontractors on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Coordinate proposal schedule generation and support internal departments with detailed project schedules.
- Interpret and explain construction drawings and related documentation.
- Study project RFP's, specifications, and schedules to determine appropriate construction methods.
- Perform detailed and accurate quantity take-offs.
- Attend pre-bid meetings as required.
- Maintain historical data for comparisons / analysis.
- Maintain thorough working knowledge of wastewater and water Construction including mechanical equipment installation, process piping and structural concrete.
- Maintain working knowledge of estimating software, spreadsheets, scheduling, and other software programs.
- Build positive relationships and alliances with engineer, subcontractor and supplier community.
- Develop scope letters with detailed scope and assumptions to accompany estimates and assist with proposal presentation.
- Review material and labor requirements to decide whether it is more cost-effective to self-perform or procure various scope and components.
- Assist in training of other staff members and perform related duties as assigned.
- Manage constructability reviews with PMs
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience: 5-10 years of experience as a multidiscipline water and wastewater treatment facility Estimator.
- Experience and relationships with local subcontractors and suppliers is essential.
- Excellent communications skills - verbal and written required.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Must be able to pass the pre-employment drug screen and background check.
- Must have excellent computer skills (MS Office -Excel, Outlook, Word), ability to learn new software quickly.
- Must have estimating software experience.
- Previous use of ProCore is preferred.
- Other Skills and Abilities - Ability to read and understand drawings, isometrics, P&ID's, and specifications.
- Ability to coordinate many different activities.
- Ability to read and understand project schedules and other project reports to develop pre-planning opportunities.