SUMMARY: The Traffic Engineer/Project Manager is responsible for independently leading and performing the data collection, analysis, design, and report preparation aspects of traffic engineering projects. They must demonstrate technical proficiency to give technical direction, make technical evaluations, and apply engineering judgement and decisions for the timely and accurate completion of assigned projects. Responsible for the client receiving the analysis, recommendations, designs, and opinions described in the contract between the firm and the client, and the cost of the project shall be within established budgets.
- Provide operations analysis for Traffic Impact Studies, Corridor Studies, Multi-modal studies, and similar technical/safety assessments.
- Provide intersection improvement and associated roadway improvement recommendations including Intersection Design Studies (IDS)
- Bicycle and pedestrian facility recommendations
- Conduct safety assessments
- Traffic signal design
- Arterial ITS Design
- Define customer requirements and the conformity of the system to the contractual specifications
- Technical point of contact for customers and external partners
- Able to present project conditions, analysis, and recommendations to clients, governing jurisdiction staff, Planning Commission, or Governing Body.
- Identify alternatives and optimisation opportunities that could impact the design, supplies, or site operations, based on the chosen strategy
- Responsible for the validation of schematics and documentation on specific aspects of projects
- Receive and coordinate feedback from the other parts of the process (design, site, and client) from the beginning of the basic design to final product approval
- Prepare proposal estimates of time and expense required to complete the project
- Negotiate with clients for supplemental changes to existing contracts
- Has the capability to produce clear, attractive, and readable reports of traffic analysis/findings and sets of plans with minimum supervision
- Independently maintains design and drawing accuracy, quality, completeness, and schedule compliance
- May monitor construction progress and review contractor Request for Information (RFI) requests, catalog cut submittals and change orders
- May be required to follow up with the client on outstanding invoices
- May be requested to work on-site at a client's office for various periods of time
- Seek and accepts increasing levels of responsibility
- The show continued and progressive professional development
- Maintain client relationships and establish new ones through business development activities
- Engages clients and potential clients to identify future opportunities for work
- May participate in a presentation of the proposal to a client
- May provide project support on traffic-related matters to other segments within the company
- 12+ years of traffic engineering experience and a minimum of 5 years of project management experience
- Experience with traffic signal design, traffic signal timing, traffic signing plans, work zone traffic control, and various traffic-related studies
- Knowledge of regulations and design standards of regional government agencies is a must. Experience with the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT), and the Northeastern Illinois County DOTs is preferred.
- Work cooperatively in a highly interactive project team setting
- Must be proficient in computer-aided design (MicroStation) and have a strong ability to utilize technology
- Must be proficient in HCS, Synchro/SIM Traffic or similar, experience using VISSIM a plus
- Must exhibit maturity, professionalism, and a willingness to solve the client's problems in all meetings
- Has shown leadership in process management and/or quality management
- Ability to lead the design of large or complex projects
- Proficient knowledge of the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and Illinois Supplement
- Provides training and mentorship for developing engineers and technical staff
- Education, Licensure, and Certification
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering required
- Must be a licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois or possess the ability to obtain within 6 months.
- PTOE certification preferred; PTP, RSP, TSOS certifications a plus.
- Certification with International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) in Traffic Signals, Fields or Design is a plus
Do not hesitate to apply!
📞: (214) 666-5057