The Traffic Engineer/Project Manager is responsible for independently leading and performing the data collection, analysis, design, and report preparation aspects of traffic engineering projects. They must demonstrate technical proficiency to give technical direction, make technical evaluations, and apply engineering judgment and decisions for the timely and accurate completion of assigned projects. Responsible for the client receiving the analysis, recommendations, designs, and opinions described in the contract between the firm and the client, and the project's cost shall be within established budgets.
- Provide operations analysis for Traffic Impact Studies, Corridor Studies, Multi-modal studies, and similar technical/safety assessments.
- Provide intersection improvement and associated roadway improvement recommendations including Intersection Design Studies (IDS)
- Bicycle and pedestrian facility recommendations
- Conduct safety assessments
- Traffic signal design
- Arterial ITS Design
- Define customer requirements and the conformity of the system to the contractual specifications
- Technical point of contact for customers and external partners
- Able to present project conditions, analysis and recommendations to clients, governing jurisdiction staff, Planning Commission, or Governing Body.
- Identify alternatives and optimization opportunities that could impact the design, supplies or site operations, based on the chosen strategy
- Responsible for the validation of schematics and documentation on specific aspects of projects
- 12+ years of traffic engineering experience and a minimum of 5 years of project management experience
- Knowledge of regulations and design standards of regional government agencies is a must.
- Experience with the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT), and the Northeastern Illinois County DOTs is preferred.
- Education, Licensure, and Certification
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering required
- licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois or possess the ability to obtain within 6 months.
- PTOE certification preferred; PTP, RSP, TSOS certifications a plus.