Independently performs detailed phases of design engineering work for a project of moderate size and complexity to design and engineer Plumbing, HVAC and Fire Protection systems to assure safe, reliable and energy efficient operation.
Perform detailed phases of design engineering work on multiple major projects of the highest complexity requiring forefront of the field and innovative solutions, including and not limited to designing, and developing standards.
Additionally, Mechanical Engineer IV assists in coaching the development of junior staff competencies and skills.
- Develop design criteria and equipment selection for preparation of construction documents
- Develops specifications, working drawings, instructions, and other related documents of multiple complex projects
- Analyzes complex design problems requiring the development of new or improved techniques or procedures
- Consults with construction personnel concerning complex design constructability issues
- Construction phase services including shop drawing review, RFIs, field observation, and punch lists
- Preparing design narratives, technical studies, condition assessments
- Field investigation and as built of existing conditions
- Monitors project progress for technical accuracy and adherence to schedule and budget
- Develop opinion of probable constructions cost factoring in size and complexity
- Plan, schedule, coordinate, and oversee the work of junior engineers and/or designers who assist with particular projects
- Plan, organize, and supervise design engineering activities for a project of significant size and complexity or two or more projects of moderate size and complexity
- Resolving any mechanical planning issues and developing effective solutions
- Maintaining product and company reputation by complying with federal and state regulations
- Maintaining project database by entering data for company records and communication
- Providing coaching to junior and senior team members on projects and subtasks
- Leading groups of engineers and designers on projects
- Contributing to project milestones ensuring all milestone deadlines are met
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience in engineering and designing/coordinating the following:
- HVAC Systems, including building load calculations, energy simulation and analysis, equipment sizing and selection, steam and hydronic heating, chilled water cooling and ducted air distribution systems.
- Plumbing Systems, including domestic hot and cold water, sanitary waste and vent, acid waste and vent, and storm water systems. Experience should also include domestic water heating, sump and sewage ejector sizing and selection.
- Temperature Control Systems, including pneumatic and electronic actuated systems. Direct Digital Controls and have a good working knowledge of systems options and control strategies.
- Fire Protection Systems
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Revit and HVAC load calculation software
- Experience in initiating and following through with coordination aspects of all design disciplines and how they impact the project
- Team-oriented problem-solving skills and decision-making ability
- The ability to prioritize tasks
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, enthusiastic and flexible
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills
- Professional Engineer License
- Minimum 10 years' experience specific to building system design and construction