We have an opening for a Senior Relay Technician in the Delaware and greater Philadelphia area, supporting a top-tier Renewable Energy firm's regulated electric transmission business. This role focuses on protective relaying and SCADA/communication systems at newly constructed transmission facilities. Responsibilities include managing protective relays, SCADA and communication equipment, metering devices, and high-voltage equipment like GIS switchgear, SF6 circuit breakers, power transformers, and disconnect switches. We seek an experienced Relay Technician with the required training and vocational experience, emphasizing safety and professionalism.
- Interpret engineering schematics and technical literature related to electrical transmission protection systems and communication equipment.
- Assist in the preventative maintenance of transmission protective relay systems.
- Maintain precise records, including test results, drawings, and maintenance documents for associated equipment.
- Aid in event investigations by retrieving relay fault records and operational data.
- Update relay settings and SCADA system configurations as per engineering directives.
- Support construction projects by testing and commissioning substation equipment, including field apparatuses, protective relays, SCADA, and communication systems.
- Provide initial response support to investigate relay operations and system disturbances.
- Regularly engage with vendors, interconnected utilities, contractors, and consultants in daily responsibilities.
- Develop customized test plans for relays and SCADA equipment using specialized software.
- Employ various test sets for functional system tests on relays and intelligent electronic devices.
- Oversee substation apparatus maintenance and commissioning procedures for breakers, power transformers, instrument transformers, disconnect switches, and related components.
- Expect frequent local travel, occasional overnight trips, and on-call duty assignments.
- Hold a certification in a technical or vocational training program as a relay or substation technician.
- Possess over 7 years of relevant experience in an electrical utility or testing services contractor.
- Exhibit in-depth knowledge of maintenance work involving substation equipment, such as transformers, circuit breakers, and switches.
- Demonstrate expertise in protective relaying, communication, metering, and SCADA systems.
- Familiarity with specialized technical software and test equipment for substation maintenance activities.
- Understanding of applicable NERC compliance standards and electric utility business practices is a plus.
- Proficiency in substation operations, maintenance, and troubleshooting.