This is a remote position.
Looking to join an award-winning company in the AEC industry?
Our firm is an innovative industry leader in consulting and design engineering. For more than four decades we have advanced the development of sustainable, high-performing infrastructure through our first-class Engineering Design Services which are driven by exceptional professionals like you.
Our work is mechanically and electrically intensive and includes designing some of the most advanced mission critical technology spaces in the world.
We contribute to the development of forward-thinking standards and technologies. Our innovative culture is one that seeks to continuously challenge and optimize our tools and processes by pushing technology beyond conventional limits. Our culture allows us to meet and exceed our clients' expectations by understanding what is important to them.
If you want to be part of an industry leading team, please join us today!
Position Title: Power Systems Study Senior Specialist
Position Location: Remote - work virtually from anywhere in the United States
Our salary ranges from job boards do not necessarily reflect our pay ranges. In many instances we out-compete those ranges for well-qualified candidates.
This position in ourMission Critical Department focuses primarily on hyperscale data centers and related mission critical facilities.
The Power Systems Study Senior Specialist will have the opportunity to collaborate with all design staff and develop power studies for projects once design has been completed. This person will work as part of the Engineering Team and interact closely with organizational leadership to complete studies, as well as lead strategic efforts such as proposal development, training / mentoring, and development of standards / automations to improve deliverables.
The Power System Study Senior Specialist will be self-directed on day-to-day work and receive high level instruction on new projects or assignments. Will execute and lead design teams and designs of complex scope, and coordinate activities of other personnel as required.
The Power System Study Senior Specialist will communicate and operate in line with organizational goals and values, as well as departmental objectives.
Lead Power Systems Studies (70%)
- Independently perform Power System Studies for mission critical projects. Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Equipment Evaluation: Assess the capabilities, ratings, and condition of equipment such as transformers, circuit breakers, and capacitors to determine if they meet system requirements.
- Load Flow Studies: Analyze current and future system load to ensure power delivery without overloading components.
- Short Circuit Analysis: Evaluate potential fault conditions to determine the system's response and ensure that equipment ratings are not exceeded.
- Protection Coordination: Study the settings of protective devices such as relays, circuit breakers, and fuses to ensure they coordinate correctly and provide optimal protection.
- Arc Flash Analysis: Conduct studies to determine potential arc flash hazards, calculate incident energy, and recommend safety practices and protective equipment.
- Transient Stability Analysis: Evaluate the power system's ability to maintain synchronism after large disturbances, such as faults or sudden changes in load, motor starting, etc.
- Prepare incremental and final deliverables including breaker settings tables, TCC's, arc flash labels, and final reports as required by the project scope.
Project Management (15%)
- Develop proposals including project scope, schedule and budget
- Timely and effective management of project design team including resource forecasting and coordination
- Identify potential project scope changes and aid in development of strategies to minimize impact and control deviations from estimated costs and project deadlines
- Perform QAQC peer reviews for projects where he or she is not the lead design engineer
Organizational Development and Continuous Improvement of Policies and Procedures (15%)
- Mentor associates and assists with training and development to create a learning and growing environment
- Develop templates, standards, automations, etc. for optimizing workflow and deliverables
- Contribute to organizational training and standards development
- May assist in the strategic planning for the group
- May assist with hiring process
Completion of Assigned Tasks and Deliverables on Time and on Budget
Performs Other Related Duties as Assigned
POSITION REQUIREMENTS (ADVANCED LEVEL FOR ALL THE FOLLOWING)
- Knowledge of electrical topologies associated with mission critical facilities.
- Knowledge of the operation, types, and settings of protective devices like relays, circuit breakers, and fuses.
- Understanding of the ratings, capabilities, and conditions of various power system equipment.
- Knowledge of industry and safety standards related to power systems, especially concerning arc flash hazards and other safety-related matters.
- Knowledge of the effects and requirements of connecting new generation or loads to existing systems.
- Skill in using power system simulation software such as ETAP, PSS/E, SKM, Easy Power, etc.
- Skilled at using MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Teams), along with exceptional organizational skills for file management
- Skilled at reviewing design drawings and equipment submittals.
- Skilled in performing code analysis including selection of equipment, wiring, etc. to meet code requirements
- Skilled in performing code analysis and advanced knowledge of electrical codes
- Skilled in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail
- Ability to work successfully in a remote environment thru effective communication and organizational skills, self-motivation, proactiveness and resourcefulness in a distraction free workspace
- Ability to follow company and site safety requirements
- Ability to analyze and prepare documents, reports and correspondence
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form (technical and non-technical information)
- Ability to communicate effectively directly with clients and at times serve as primary point of client contact
- Ability to work under pressure and meet close deadlines
- Ability to effectively plan and delegate the work of others
- Organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
The following physical demands must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
- Frequently required to remain in a stationary position
- Frequently moving through office, facility and other environments
- On occasion the employee may move equipment weighing up to 25 pounds
TRAVEL / RELOCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Up to 10%, this may include travel to any or all 50 US states
- Travel is defined as physically leaving home on behalf of business activities including but not limited to client sites, meetings with other employees, meeting for business development purposes, running errands on behalf of the business, attending industry conferences, etc.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from ABET accredited institution
- PE in related discipline
- Minimum of eight years of electrical engineering experience
We are an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
We are committed to diversifying our workforce.
We participate in the E-Verify program with the Department of Homeland Security.
For the health and safety of our employees and clients, we strongly encourage vaccination against COVID-19. Some of our clients require the vaccination for their employees, their contractors and visitors to their facilities, which includes us. We follow the guidance set forth by the CDC for all current and future amendments of our policies on this topic.
We offer a very competitive benefits package; highlights include
- Choice of comprehensive medical plans (including two PPO-style plans and a HDHP w/ HSA option)
- Health reimbursement account (HRA), flex spending accounts (FSA)
- Dental and vision plans
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision benefits extended to spouse / domestic partner and dependent children up to age 26
- 401k with company match and self-directed brokerage account option
- PTO including additional paid time off during the last week of the year
- Company paid life insurance coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Short and long-term disability, AD&D coverage
- Professional development opportunities, tuition reimbursement and professional licensing assistance
- Paid parental leave after one year of employment