As a Senior Wetland Scientist, you will lead and manage wetland assessment, restoration, and conservation projects. Your expertise will be pivotal in assessing wetland ecosystems, guiding regulatory compliance, and developing sustainable strategies for wetland preservation. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams, mentor junior staff, and provide technical leadership to ensure our commitment to environmental stewardship.
Wetland Assessment and Analysis:
- Conduct comprehensive wetland delineations, assessments, and functional evaluations in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Apply your advanced knowledge to identify wetland types, vegetation, hydrology, and soil characteristics.
- Navigate complex wetland regulations, permits, and guidelines to ensure compliance with applicable laws during project planning and execution.
- Collaborate with regulatory agencies to secure necessary permits for wetland-related activities.
- Lead wetland-related projects from inception to completion, including scope development, budgeting, scheduling, and resource allocation.
- Oversee project progress, ensuring milestones are met and quality standards are maintained.
Restoration and Conservation Strategies:
- Design and implement wetland restoration, enhancement, and conservation plans to improve ecosystem functions and biodiversity.
- Integrate sustainable practices into restoration efforts to ensure long-term ecosystem health.
- Collaborate with clients, regulatory agencies, community stakeholders, and other experts to address concerns and ensure alignment with project goals.
- Communicate complex wetland science concepts effectively to diverse audiences.
- Provide technical guidance to junior wetland scientists, mentoring and supporting their professional growth.
- Stay up-to-date with emerging wetland science, tools, and methodologies, and implement them where applicable.
Data Collection and Reporting:
- Collect and analyze data related to wetland functions, plant communities, hydrology, and soil properties.
- Prepare comprehensive technical reports, impact assessments, and documentation for regulatory submissions.
- Review and ensure the accuracy and quality of wetland assessments, reports, and deliverables produced by the team.
- Identify opportunities for innovation and improvement in wetland assessment, restoration techniques, and project management processes.
- Bachelor's degree in ecology, environmental science, biology, or a related field.
- Minimum of 6-10 years of relevant experience in wetland science, assessment, and restoration, with a proven track record of project leadership.
- Expertise in wetland identification, delineation, classification, and functional assessment methodologies.
- In-depth knowledge of wetland regulations, permits, and environmental laws.
- Strong understanding of wetland hydrology, plant communities, and soil characteristics.
- Excellent communication skills for technical and non-technical audiences, both written and verbal.
- Project management experience, including budgeting and resource allocation.
- Leadership abilities and experience in mentoring junior staff.
- Certifications such as Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS) or similar are a plus.