Our client is one of the fastest growing engineering firms in the U.S. with nationally recognized expertise in sustainable, high performance building engineering. Thy are a collaborative, competitive, innovative, and energetic group of engineers and team leaders who incorporate a holistic approach towards consulting engineering, performance contracting, and zero energy projects. They focus on finding engineers whose personalities lead them to excellence, and we provide exceptional opportunities for our employees.
Our client's Framingham, MA and/or Boston, MA office is seeking a Plumbing and Fire Protection Engineer with at least 5 years of experience in plumbing design and fire protection design. This person will work closely with our Fire Protection and Plumbing Engineers on energy efficient projects for various clients. Our ideal candidate should be a self-motivated individual with a technical background who thrives on resolving challenges, assisting clients, and leading all phases of the project.
This position entails providing workable solutions designing plumbing and fire protection systems for buildings from the design phase through the construction administration phase as needed.
Responsibilities could involve the following:
- Plumbing design of piping and equipment selection for plumbing, pressurized gasses and fire protection systems for building design.
- Produce detailed layout and equipment details of fire protection/sprinkler systems including fire pumps, mains, standpipes, flow controls and sprinkler head layout.
- Produce Life Safety, Fire Alarm, and Fire suppression plans along with the required calculations, specifications, and project narratives for federal projects
- Reading and interpreting blueprints, technical drawings, and schematics.
- Generating electronic response to questions and reviews.
- Attending meetings with owners, clients, and architects.
- Providing guidance to staff engineers as to the appropriate energy efficient designs to be implemented in various projects.
- Reviewing contractor submittals and shop drawings to determine conformance with contract documents and applicable Codes.
- Evaluating, selecting and applying standard engineering techniques, procedures, and calculations to perform equipment research, piping layout, and pipe sizing.
- Conferring with other engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures; resolve system deficiencies, and provide technical information.
- Researching and analyzing client design proposal specifications, manuals, and other criteria to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of the design or application.
- Specifying system components or directing modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance.
- Developing client relations through feedback to design engineers on customer concerns and needs.
- 5+ years of experience
- Knowledge of building life safety, fire, mechanical and plumbing codes including ICC Standards, NFPA Codes and Standards, FM Global, and Federal Standards (UFC, GSA, VA),
- Excellent communication skills,
- AutoCAD and REVIT proficiency,
- MS Office proficiency, and
- Ability to travel across the country for field work at client sites.
- Knowledge or familiarity with Performance-based design requirements for life safety and fire protection systems.
- Ability to plan and direct contractor activities during system testing and start-up of life safety and fire protection systems.
- Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Fire Protection Engineering, Architectural Engineering or Certificate in Engineering
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or Engineer in Training (EIT) in preferred