We have a current opportunity for a Senior Controls Engineer on a permanent basis. The position will be based in Paterson. For further information about this position please apply.
This role holds complete life cycle accountability for electrical controls hardware within a machine tool family. The Senior Controls Engineer will primarily focus on designing, developing, maintaining, documenting, and troubleshooting the electrical controls hardware for gear manufacturing machines.
- Lead design, development, maintenance, documentation, and troubleshooting of gear manufacturing machines.
- Collaborate with cross-functional Engineering groups (Fluid Power, Mechanical, Software, and Applications) to adopt a Systems Engineering approach for machine design.
- Analyse Customer Specifications and Safety Standards to estimate machine costs and schedules in collaboration with Proposals and Sales teams.
- Employ EPLAN for system schematics and BOM creation.
- Utilise Creo View for interpreting Mechanical Designs.
- Manage schematic masters and master BOMs for both current and legacy machines.
- Generate customised electrical control designs, encompassing functional requirements, customer specifications, and component selection.
- Handle updates and modifications driven by customer/supplier interactions (Engineering Change Orders).
- Interface with Assembly Methods to streamline efficient machine assembly through appropriate part coding and documentation.
- Participate in Process Improvement initiatives targeting enhancements in Electrical Controls Hardware, devising systematic solutions.
- Develop, refine, and document Work Instructions outlining Electrical Controls Hardware Engineering processes.
Qualifications: (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Create and maintain schematics and wiring diagrams.
- Develop symbols, employ symbol libraries, and integrate manufactured items suitably. Utilise Eplan's relations for stock list creation.
- Proficiency in both NFPA and IEC controls schematic styles and comprehension.
Business Systems Skills:
- Manage BOMs and material masters for components, including ETOs (Engineer to Order).
- Review machine BOMs and ensure parts availability.
- Familiarity with SAP or similar data management systems.
- Collaborate with suppliers (e.g., Fanuc, Siemens) for Component Selection and Configuration.
- Create 2D panel layouts and conduct spatial studies. Implement standardised configurations for optimised performance and reduced costs.
- Organise and facilitate Design Reviews, FMEA, and cross-functional design meetings, including documentation and action item follow-ups.
- Attend Technical Review Meetings, configuring machines with lead time and production requirements in mind.
- Provide accurate Engineering hours and material cost data for quotations, additional testing, and installation.
Preferred Training and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 5+ years of relevant experience, including internships/co-ops.
- Proficiency in EPLAN, SAP, Creo, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Minimal travel anticipated.