We seek to hire a Senior Transportation Engineer PE in our Virginia Beach, VA, Richmond, VA or Vienna, VA offices who will be responsible for performing and directing Transportation engineering duties on multi-discipline transportation projects of moderate to large scope.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Transportation engineering duties as a Senior Transportation Engineer including analysis and design involving interstates and interchanges, urban roadways and bridges, site grading, stormwater management, erosion control, and site plan preparation; supervising and directing the work of Transportation engineers and EI/EIT's assigned to the project; coordination with other design disciplines; managing the production of contract documents; and satisfying project budget and schedule requirements
- Concurrently leading several projects of moderate complexity and scope when required by schedule and/or resource constraints
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of services
- Working with assigned Project Managers to meet project budget, schedule, goals, and objectives
- Coordinating, supervising, and communicating all aspects of the Transportation design within multi-discipline teams to ensure that transportation design details integrate properly with all other disciplines
- Communication with the Contractor on Design-Build projects to verify suitability of systems and materials selected
- Managing and supervising Transportation support services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids
- Managing and supervising Transportation support services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Ensuring staff compliance with quality control policies and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, Operations Directors and senior management.
- Assist in presenting projects to clients, contractors, project team members, Authorities Having Jurisdiction, and members of the public through all stages of the project
- Actively support Company marketing and business development activities
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships
- Provide technical guidance to Transportation staff
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of Transportation staff
- Leading staff training sessions
- Providing input to Department Director on staff annual performance reviews
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Design Manager duties as assigned
- Responsible for discipline design and documentation
- Develop discipline design approach and methodology
- Develop discipline project plan and production methodology
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant Transportation drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by Transportation engineers and Transportation EI/EIT's assigned to the project, particularly analysis and design assumptions and input data, and output results
- Reviewing all drawings produced by Transportation technicians assigned to the project
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the Transportation portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, Transportation-only projects
- Assist PM in development of project proposals, budgets & schedules
- Perform discipline QA/QC reviews on assigned projects
- Review and approve discipline specifications
- Respond to RFI's
- Lead discipline bidding and construction administration activities
- Back-check discipline QC/gray team comments
- Monitor and adhere to project budget and schedule
- Graduation from an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Civil, Environmental and Infrastructure Engineering
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Post-graduate degree in Transportation Engineering or Transportation Engineering-related degree may be given additional consideration
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction or be eligible for reciprocity with the local jurisdiction.
- Other Transportation Engineering related certifications is desirable
- DBIA (Design-Build Professional) certification may be given additional consideration.
- Active membership in ITE, ASHE, NSPE, ASCE or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Senior Transportation Engineer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Senior Transportation Engineer PE should typically have 8 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with a Transportation Engineering firm or a multi-discipline Architectural and Engineering firm. Significant experience with analysis and design involving interstates and interchanges, urban roadways, site grading, stormwater management, erosion control, and site plan preparation, and will have a demonstrated commitment to producing correct, complete, and coordinated construction documents.
Design Project Experience
Design experience as a lead design engineer in one or more of the following types of design projects.
- DOT Road or Traffic Projects
- Interstate and Interchange Projects
- Municipal Road or Traffic Projects
- Design Build projects
- DOD/Military transportation projects
- Projects exceeding $40 million in construction value
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence.
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Be dedicated to the advancement of the engineering profession