We have a current opportunity for a Lead Substation Engineer on a permanent basis. The position will be based in Tampa, Florida.
Performs complex substation electrical utility system inspection, analysis, & other design assignments requiring demonstrated proficiency of engineering principles. Delivers solutions for substation projects of varying complexities, coordinating the design/construction of major electric utility substation physical facilities. Develops documentation for substation facility compliance with the NERC Reliability Standards.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (ABET)
- 8+ years of related experience
- Experience MUST include proficiency in the development of specifications, economic studies/evaluations, project management & analysis of substation design/construction related problems
- Knowledge of 3-phase AC systems & utility DC systems
- Familiar with substation equipment (Transformers, Breakers, Switches, Reclosers, Switchgear)
- Knowledge of substation construction & maintenance techniques
- Registration as a Professional Engineer is preferred
- Coordinates activities in the following areas: project planning, development, engineering and equipment specifications, permitting and construction.
- Interprets contract requirements for engineering and construction services or equipment supply.
- Prepares engineering progress reports including design, construction, manufacturing, and consulting activities associated with assigned projects.
- Perform engineering calculations and studies as necessary to support project scope
- Develop and track schedules for engineering milestones
- Prepare comprehensive written and oral reports of technical issues, investigative findings, and engineering recommendations
- Coordinate with design consultants and interface with internal staff
- Prepares and updates system documentation including substation drawings/diagrams, equipment documentation and data, operating manuals, practices, and procedures.
- Designs and specifies substation materials, equipment and monitoring and recording equipment, oversees installation and maintenance.
- Support project Initiation, development, construction and closeout activities, including document control.
- Performs other duties as applicable to the position or as assigned.
- Conducts or leads others in design studies for process systems or equipment.
- Prepares or leads others into the development of technical specifications, pricing documents, bidder's lists, bid evaluation criteria and project cost estimates for process systems, equipment or maintenance projects.
- Advises other department engineers on technical/engineering design criteria.
- Acts as a technical advisor for operation and maintenance groups.
- Lead multidisciplinary project team to complete preliminary and final engineering as well as construction activities for transmission substations
- Reviews and approves staff and consultant design and oversees, inspects and directs contractors, as required.
***Competitive relocation packages are offered to candidates that may not already be located in the Tampa, Florida area. Full benefits & pension also included***