As a Professional Wetland Scientist, you will be responsible for conducting wetland assessments, developing restoration plans, and ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements. Working closely with an interdisciplinary team, you will contribute to the conservation and sustainable management of wetland ecosystems. Your key responsibilities will include:
Wetland Assessment and Mapping:
- Conducting wetland delineations, including plant and soil identification, hydrological assessments, and jurisdictional determinations.
- Utilizing field survey equipment and technology, such as GPS and GIS, to accurately map wetland boundaries and document vegetation communities.
- Assessing wetland functions and values, including hydrological regimes, habitat quality, and biodiversity.
Wetland Restoration and Enhancement:
- Developing wetland restoration and enhancement plans based on ecological assessments and project goals.
- Designing and implementing wetland restoration projects, including hydrological modifications, re-vegetation plans, and invasive species management.
- Monitoring and evaluating the success of wetland restoration efforts and recommending adaptive management strategies.
Regulatory Compliance and Permitting:
- Ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal wetland regulations, including the Clean Water Act, Section 404 permitting, and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
- Preparing permit applications and supporting documentation for wetland-related projects.
- Collaborating with regulatory agencies and stakeholders to address permitting requirements and facilitate project approvals.
Environmental Impact Assessment:
- Conducting wetland impact assessments for proposed projects and evaluating potential effects on wetland resources.
- Participating in environmental impact studies and preparing technical reports and documentation.
- Collaborating with interdisciplinary teams to develop mitigation plans and strategies to minimize wetland impacts.
Project Management and Client Engagement:
- Managing wetland-related projects, including budgeting, scheduling, and coordination of fieldwork and data collection efforts.
- Engaging with clients to understand project requirements, provide technical expertise, and ensure client satisfaction.
- Communicating complex scientific concepts and findings to non-technical stakeholders in a clear and concise manner.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Wetland Science, Ecology, Environmental Science, or a related field.
- Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS) certification from the Society of Wetland Scientists is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in wetland assessment, restoration, and permitting.
- Strong knowledge of wetland ecology, hydrology, and plant identification in the California region.
- Familiarity with wetland regulations and permitting processes at local, state, and federal levels.
- Proficiency in wetland assessment and mapping techniques, including GPS and GIS applications.
- Experience in wetland restoration design, implementation, and monitoring.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills for assessing wetland functions and values.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills for technical reporting and client interactions.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- Willingness to travel to project sites and work outdoors in various weather conditions.
Join this dedicated team of environmental professionals and contribute to the conservation and restoration of wetland ecosystems in California. Offering competitive compensation, a supportive work environment, and opportunities for professional growth and development.