Senior Controls Engineer
The Senior Controls Engineer position is a hands-on role requiring excellent technical, organizational and communication skills. The Senior Controls Engineer provides engineering services in all project phases, which include analysis, electrical design, installation support, debugging and delegation of tasks as needed. The individual analyzes/understands/utilizes project requirements and develops sound solutions (PLC Programming, controls devices/equipment)
- Understand customer requirements and translate those into programmatic design and control system installation specifications
- Prepare and test PLC hardware for projects.
- Understand electrical design drawings and specifications as they relate to machine control programming.
- Work with electrical engineering to define I/O network and addressing, selection and testing of peripheral equipment
- Work with the PC software developers.
- Participate or oversee in in-house testing of the machine control system.
- Prepare as-built documentation for every project.
- Participate in the on-site machine control commissioning.
- Assist in the programming and debugging of PLC and HMI systems
- Additional tasks and/or projects, as assigned
Requirements/Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer Engineering or related field from an accredited university, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 6-10 years work experience, relative to industrial experience in controls or automation engineering.
- Knowledge of:
- Advanced machine control concepts.
- Development of equipment specifications for medium-sized projects involving PLC's, HMI's, DCS's, industrial networks, etc.
- Understanding of schedule constraints and information requirements for the production of all project deliverables.
- Application of TCP/IP networking protocols, media, and equipment, including managing switches and routers
- Ability to:
- Evaluate controls engineering problems.
- Solve controls issues independently
- Keep abreast of changes in engineering technology.
- Work as part of the project team.
- Prepare specifications and documents in accordance with requirements.
- Investigate technical problems and establish procedures and corrective actions to avoid recurrences.
- Travel nationally to commission projects in field as required for the project.
- Excellent time management skills, attention to detail and the ability to learn quickly
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Excellence in handling multiple tasks and work well under pressure; sense of both urgency and thoroughness
- Professional, positive, friendly, and energetic attitude