The DER Planning Senior Engineer provides distribution focused subject matter expertise in DER power system studies and project development by carrying out assignments associated with the technical review and modeling of generation and storage facilities interconnecting with the distribution system. The role requires experience associated with the modeling, analyses, and planning level designs of distribution lines and substation facilities in an electric power system.
- Assists in development of the distribution system power flow model for the purpose of studying the interconnection of generation and storage.
- Assists in the assessment and analysis of proposed solutions associated with the integration of DER and associated impact on the ISO-NE regional system.
This task includes:
- Working with distribution system planning and transmission interconnection engineers
- Verification of technical feasibility or soundness of proposed plans utilizing industry accepted techniques
- Developing design solutions and possible alternatives to mitigate identified assessment criteria violations
- Interfacing with DER, various line and substation engineering, asset management, siting, environmental and permitting, operations, etc. for the determination of planning needs and proposed plans
- Conducts assessments and develops options to meet DER interconnections by identifying key technical issues and developing proposed and alternative solutions.
- Application of industry and corporate distribution planning standards in conjunction with regulations of Federal, State and Local regulatory authorities
- Assists in analysis of the distribution interconnections. This task includes:
- Review and preparation of Pre-Application Report requests
- Review and feasibility assessment support for applications in the interconnection queue
- Working with distribution engineering, distribution planning, transmission planning and transmission interconnection departments
Other supporting tasks include:
- Represents the department and the company on various industry related committees.
- Participates with other utilities and the planning staff of the Independent System Operator (ISO) in the preparation of regional distribution and substation expansion studies.
- Employs teamwork with engineers in Distribution Engineering, System Planning and personnel elsewhere in Electric Operations or external to the company in performing analyses and providing technical support
- Clearly and effectively communicates the results of analyses and action plans both verbally and in writing
- Trains interns in technical analyses and procedures
- Performs an emergent storm assignment as needed during times of inclement weather or adverse system conditions
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems or related is required. An Advanced Degree is preferred.